Monday 23 December 2013

PASSION FOR FOOD

Assalamualaikum readers,

I always have the passion for food, always dreaming to eat in a fine dining restaurant and  have the options to buy all the expensive foods in the world!Haha.But somehow, in my entire 28 years of life, I never step my foot in the fine dining restaurant but yeah, I managed to buy some ingredients that are not expensive but quality ingredients.

Because I don't have much options to eat expensive foods out there, I looked into other option, which is cook my own food. For me, to cook my own food is way more healthier as I can control the salt, sugar and carb intake.(you all know that right?) Since I was a teenager, I always want to eat healthy food, but at that time and place, I still don't have the option to cook and eat healthily.(I was a student btw ;))

So, when I started working, I start to buy groceries (I rented a house) and cook for myself. At that time, I just think to fulfill my stomach, but gradually I changed to be more cautious of what I cook and eat.  Just to add on, my first encounter to the kitchen was when I was 12 years old. My mom will ask me to help her in the kitchen, initially she asked me to cook rice for the family.  The rice that I cooked sometimes
perfect and sometimes uncooked.  After a while, my mum taught me to cook other dishes like chicken curry, fried fish(terengganu style), stir fried veges, soups, sambal belacan, rendang and even tomyam.
My cooking skill at that time is not that great, but I have the basic how to do the dishes.  But I only exposed to Malay kind of dishes only.

Everything is changed after I met my husband.  He has type1(T1) diabetes.  Person who has T1 diabetes, their pancreas can't produce sugar thus they have to take insulin in daily basis(min 3x a day) to make sure that their sugar level is stable throughout the day.  The cause of this T1 (usually) is genetic or their pancreas is not working since they were born. It is extremely difficult(especially in Malaysia) for T1 person to choose their food.  Usually their foods are expensive and really hard to find(I still can find it at Tesco and Cold Storage but quite limited.)  But as a wife, I understand his situation and try to opt for more healthy food and cooking. He also helps me in how to choose good food and read the nutrition information at the back of the packaging. LOL.

So now come the Australia Masterchef season 5 this year. I did watch the season 1-4 but not religiously. But not for season 5.  All the contestants in season 5 are really good cook! I am really impressed how they can create a dish that is 5 stars!Not only that, I am very impressed with the production team and how they teach the contestants to cook first class cuisines. At first, I watched it through LIFE channel in Astro, but I really can't wait for the next episode so I decided to download(don't judge me, hahaha!) all the episodes and finished watching it in 10 days(there's a lot lot of episodes). I watched it everyday without fail. ;)

So, with a bit of experience in cooking, the drive to cook tasty yet healthy dish for my husband and the feel to prepare first class cuisines made me decided to write this blog.



                             
                          My first ever beef grilled ribs(from eid adha) with mashed potato served with
                                      boiled carrot and broccoli.(recipe in later post ya) 


I hope you'll  enjoy this blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment